Industry Analyst firm NanoMarkets has issued a new report on the OLED lighting materials market. In the report the firm projects that the OLED lighting materials market will surpass $1.3 billion in revenues in 2018 as OLED lighting moved beyond luxury luminaires and designer kits and into larger, general illumination applications.
From the Report:
• NanoMarkets forecasts that the market value of functional OLED materials – emitters, hosts, and blocking/transport/injection materials – will grow from its current value of approximately $1.7 million in 2012 to over $1.1 billion in 2019.
• The market value of solution-processable small molecule OLED materials will account for nearly $400 million by 2019. Growth in solution-processable materials will help to bring costs down and allow OLED lighting to better compete with other, alternative lighting applications.
• The market value of encapsulation in OLED lighting applications is expected to grow from under $1 million today to a value of over $50 million by 2015 and over $450 million by the end of the forecast period in 2019.
• Today, nearly 95 percent of the materials market in OLED lighting goes into specialty OLED lighting applications like designer kits, luxury luminaires, and high-profile installations. But by the end of the forecast period in 2019, 80 percent of the total $2.8 billion OLED lighting materials market will go into residential and commercial general illumination applications. Another 18 percent of the OLED lighting materials market will be used in automotive lighting applications.
About the Report:
Within the report NanoMarkets also examines the product development and marketing strategies of the major players in the OLED lighting materials sector, including UDC, Novaled, BASF, DuPont Displays, Merck/EMD, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, and others. The report indicates which firms are the "companies to watch" and which will be the likely winners and losers in the OLED materials space.
The report also contains detailed, eight-year forecasts for the materials used for OLED lighting applications, in both value ($ millions) and volume (kg or area of material) terms, broken out by product type and application.
OLED materials covered include:
• Emissive Layer Materials -- Emitters and Hosts
• Electron and/or Hole Injection, Blocking, and Transport Materials
• Electrodes – Anodes and Cathodes
• Encapsulation Technologies, and
• Substrates – Rigid glass, flexible glass, plastics, and metal foils
The report also breaks out the core, functional OLED materials (emitters, etc.) by deposition method:
• Vapor-Deposited Small Molecules
• Solution-Processable Small Molecules, and
• Polymeric Materials.
OLED lighting application sectors covered are:
• General Illumination – Residential and Commercial
• Specialty OLED Lighting, and
• Vehicular OLED Lighting